I've been kind of holding out to post about my progress on my Farmer's Wife blocks until I had them all finished. The last few took a little longer than I would have liked but they are all finished now! Woo hoo!
I started Farming last January, very soon after I started quilting. I saw blocks popping up that were beautiful and I got really excited and wanted to start. I even convinced my mom to start piecing blocks with me (and she was quick to let me know that her grandmother was an avid reader of the Farmer's Wife and a proud member of the W.C.T.U - ha!). My mom finished her blocks really quickly and has her top completely pieced and basted but I've been kind of stalled with my piecing.
In the first couple months, I managed to piece blocks 1-60, then I got nothing more accomplished until this January. I decided I wanted to make a king size quilt and drew out my own layout based on this one. To make the quilt the size I wanted, I figured I needed to make it 11 squares x 12 squares = 132 squares.
I didn't want to put the blocks that needed appliqué in, since it didn't seem to fit with the rest of the quilt. I have been obsessing over the extra blocks that Melinda @ the Quirky Granola Girl chose for her quilt and totally stole the idea. :) I drew out all the extra blocks and rotary cut as many as I could. I figured out which templates would work for a few of the tricky ones and made my own paper-piece pattern for 2 of the blocks (Tallahassee and Twisting Star).