Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Finished swoon!

I still unfortunately haven't found my camera charger, but I felt the need to really call this quilt finished. In addition, I had a chance to wash and dry my finished quilt this weekend -- isn't that the best part of making a quilt??!  -- and thought I'd have a photo shoot in the spare bedroom.


I bought a fat quarter stack of modern whimsy last March or so with the express purpose of making a quilt for my good friend Laura.  She is pretty obsessed with ducks partly because she grew up with ducks as pets and partly for reasons I cannot explain.  I was so excited when I saw the fabric and thought it would be perfect for a quilt for her.  I showed her the fabric I picked out and she pointed out to me that the birds were geese and not ducks.  Oh well, I still like the line.

I struggled for a while to decide on the quilt design but in the end thought the swoon design would be a perfect fit.  I chose 4 of the animal fabrics and 4 of the circle prints that matched.  I picked out 4 solids that matched well.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to mix up the colors or not, but in the end I'm really glad that I kept each block monochromatic.

I made a few modifications to my blocks to cut down on all the seams.  Instead of using a rectangle and flying goose block for all of the large blocks around the perimeter, I cut a large square and used smaller squares of white for the corner triangles.  For the points with the circle prints, I cut rectangles and then used a colored square and white square for the corner triangles.  I'm happy that I made these changes, though it meant I needed to use more of the solid fabric than 1/4 yard.


For the quilting, I used one of my favorites again from Oh, Fransson! It reminds me of stars which I think fits with the quilt overall.  On the back I used a Riley Blake chevron.  I really hope Laura likes this quilt.  It's pretty overdue since it was meant as a birthday present (which was in the beginning of December!)


1 comment:

  1. This is fabulous!!! The monochromatic look was a great choice and the chevrons on the back are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete